The Year of No Resolutions

Motor cross biker leaping off a huge ramp with a deep blue sky behind him.
Motor cross biker at the Alameda County Fair in July 2022.

As I mentioned in my prior post, I have a longstanding habit of writing New Year's resolutions each year (no later than the first business day of January) and then in December, reviewing those resolutions to see how I fared. I went looking for last year's resolutions, and much to my surprise, found that I had started a post and never published it. In fact, I didn't even write any resolutions down! The post was titled "Intentions" so I must have been drifting away from the idea of "resolutions" toward a practice that is more about my hopes and, well, intentions. I even wrote about that decision in my 2020 review.

In any case, it turns out to have been a pretty good idea to not write anything down because if I had, I might have been constrained in what I could achieve. I did achieve a lot this year. I published a book and several articles. I started teaching a class at Berkeley Law. I traveled a lot and saw lots of old friends. I spent lots of time with friends and did good parenting. We got the beach house I've been dreaming of since I was a kid (now we need to furnish it). Our country had a bout of sanity in the election and lots of decent legislation passed that makes me feel like grown-ups are in charge and the future is better now than it was a year ago. 

Despite the obvious value of not making resolutions, I do have a few things in mind I'd like to work on in 2023. Maybe "work on" is too strong a phrase. There are some aspects of my life that I'd like to reconsider and then see if reconsideration was beneficial when next year rolls around. 

I hope you find the framework you need to become happier in 2023. Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italian Sub Reviews (No. 1)

End of the Year Cultural Round-Up

Italian Sub Reviews Round-Up